Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Lion and the Mouse

Aesop
One day a great lion lay asleep in the sunshine. A little mouse ran across his paw and wakened him. The great lion was just going to eat him up when the little mouse cried, "Oh, please, let me go, sir. Some day I may help you."
The lion laughed at the thought that the little mouse could be of any use to him. But he was a good-natured lion, and he set the mouse free.
Not long after, the lion was caught in a net. He tugged and pulled with all his might, but the ropes were too strong. Then he roared loudly. The little mouse heard him, and ran to the spot.
"Be still, dear Lion, and I will set you free. I will gnaw the ropes."
With his sharp little teeth, the mouse cut the ropes, and the lion came out of the net.
"You laughed at me once," said the mouse. "You thought I was too little to do you a good turn. But see, you owe your life to a poor little mouse."

No comments:

Post a Comment